Saturday, September 25, 2010

"Captivating:Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul" by John and Stasi Eldredge

This has been a book I had been wanting to read for years. I had heard good reviews from John Eldridge's book "Wild at Heart" and was looking forward to this book. I started reading this book a couple of months ago, and it took me a while to work my way through it. Each chapter was slow to read. This is not a book that can be easily read in a weekend. It took me a couple of months to get through this book. Overall, this book was ok. The book is inteded to look at a woman's heart and soul and tried to address some of the issues that women deal with. Most women have a lot of baggage that we carry around due to our life experiences. I would even dare say that many women have been hurt to a point that they think that can not be used for God. This book tries to show women how the past hurts effect us and how we really are beautiful and loved by God.

There were are few issues that I had with this book. There is an overuse of movie quotes. To make a point or to help the reader have a better picture of what the authors are trying to say, they use a scene from a well known movie. This really loses its effect on the book. Some of these scenes are from movies that do not reflect Christian values. I think the authors should have used either women from the Bible or real life stories. This might have helped illustrate their point better. Also, they seem to take random scriptures out of context.

I'm sure this book will be very helpful for some women. Personally, I think this book has a lot of flaws and it really effects the readability of this book. I was really disappointed with this book and will probably not read any other books by the authors.


This book was sent to me by Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their book review program. I was sent a free copy of this book to review. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment